Vienna – East of Rotenturmstrasse
The medieval labyrinth of streets continues east of Rotenturnstrasse, running from Stephansplatz to Schwedenplatz. Although the area owes its popularity mainly to charming alleys, lovers of monuments will also find four interesting churches there. The red tower, which gave the name of the street, long gone.
Meat market in Postgasse
meat market, former meat market, leads east from Rottenturmstrasse to Postgasse. Greek merchants settled here in the 18th century, and after laid down in v 1781 Toleranzpatent built a Greek Orthodox Church in Griechengasse. In fact, only the dome and the top, facing the Hafnersteig, let us guess, that it is a sacred building. There is a second one on the Fleischmarkt, more impressive greek church (Greek Church), built of red brick, a w 1861 r. renovated by Theophil Hansen in a Byzantine style. Gold-plated deserves special attention, beautifully decorated battlements. Unfortunately, there are no fixed opening hours, therefore, the visit may be limited to visiting a slightly dark vestibule. Best chance of it, to see the candlelit interiors, beautiful icons and gilded frescoes, are on sunday. Right next to the church, under the number 11, there is the popular restaurant Griechenbeisl, founded by the Viennese over five centuries ago, once a favorite meeting place of the Greeks, cloth traders from Reichenberg in the Czech Republic, as well as such celebrities, like Beethoven, Brahms, Schubert i Strauss.
If at the Fleischmarkt exit you turn right onto Postgasse, you can walk to the Greek Catholic church of St.. Barbara with a pistachio-apricot façade, also in the Byzantine style. Makes a lighter impression. It is worth looking inside mainly because of the pink and blue nave with Rococo iconostases. However, the façade of the Dominican Church is much more impressive (Dominikanerkirche), a little further south, at Postgasse. The interior, dominated by baroque stucco and frescoes, was rebuilt in the years 30. XVII century, after it was almost completely destroyed during the Turkish siege.
Dr-Ignaz-Seipel-Platz in Heiligenkreuzerhof
West of Postgasse, on Backerstrasse, extends to Dr-Ignaz-Seipel-Platz, named after the leader of Christian socialists, which in 1922 year he became chancellor of Austria. The son of a taxi driver, priest and former lecturer in moral theology, Seipel was one of the most staunch supporters of anti-Semitism, openly calling for the confinement of Jews in ghettos. Considering fate, what happened to Austrian Jews, this fairly pleasant square should rather be called Universitat Platz. The east side of the square is still occupied by the old university (High University), founded by Rudolf IV c 1365 year, making it the second oldest German-speaking university in the world after Prague. Today, the not very impressive building dates from the 17th century, When is it, like most major research institutions, the university was handed over to the Jesuits.
In the 18th century, the university buildings were significantly expanded and a new seat was added, Austrian Academy of Sciences (Academy of Science), opposite the old university. Franz Maulbertsch's frescoes and the barrel vault in the Freskenraum can be admired during the holidays, when exhibitions are held here (pn.-pt. 10.30-17.30). It was in this room that Joseph Haydn made his last public appearance, when in 1808 r., w swe 73 birthday, He appeared at the premiere of the Creation of the World oratorio he composed. Apparently, during the concert, Haydn put his hands on Beethoven kneeling in front of him and said: "Finish it, what i started”.
There is a Jesuit church next to the university (also called university; Universitatskirche) with a flat façade and huge towers towering over the square. Erected in 1627 year, thus at the height of the Jesuit rule, brings to mind the times of the Counter-Reformation and deserves to be called the most unusual Viennese baroque church. Inside, narrow red and green spiral columns draw attention, wonderfully carved benches and an illusionistic dome (you have to look at her from the porch).
Behind the Jesuit Church runs the picturesque paved Schonlaterngasse (alley of beautiful summers). The richly ornamented lantern immortalized in the name adorns the building of the house under the nome 6. Under the number 5 there is the entrance to the Heiligenkreuzerhof, a secret courtyard belonging to the Cistercian Order of Heiligenkreuz southwest of Vienna. Although there is now a car park here, the courtyard is one of the best-preserved parts of the 17th-century capital of Austria. Wanting to visit the wonderful Bernhardskapelle – a favorite place for snobbish weddings of Viennese – you must first press the bell to Hauswart (supervisor) and ask for permission to go inside.